Professional Satisfaction within Family Health Units of Central Region

Rui Passadouro, Pedro Lopes Ferreira


Introduction: Job satisfaction, as an organizational climate indicator, is a complex and subjective phenomenon. It is prone to individual variation, social settings and suitable to multiple explanatory theories. It can impact productivity and absenteeism, predict well-being, and it is associated with mental health, self-esteem and perception of physical health. It is comprised as one of the National Health Service evaluation criteria. This study aimed to assess the level of job satisfaction in family health units of Central Region of the country.
Material and Methods: This was an observational, cross-sectional study with a descriptive analysis model and a correlational component. The Centro de Estudos e Investigação em Saúde da Universidade de Coimbra’s Professional Satisfaction Assessment Instrument was selected as data collection instrument. Among a universe of 809 health professionals, a total of 774 professionals participated in this study population.
Results: The observed response rate was 66.4% at the Professional Satisfaction Assessment Instrument, corresponding to 514 professionals. Eighty two per cent of the respondents were female and 18% male. From the total subjects, 64.8% worked in model A units and the remaining 35.2% in model B units. Regarding professional categories, 34.2% were nurses, 39.8% were doctors and 26.0% clinical secretaries. The global level of satisfaction was 71.5% being 67.4% with the quality of the work setting, 78.3% with the quality of the care provided and 80.7% with the continuous improvement of quality.
Discussion: The sample was predominantly composed by female subjects (82%), in line with current gender distribution of professionals. Found levels of job satisfaction (71.5%) were 5.4% lower than previously recorded in 2009.
Conclusion: We recommend systematic evaluation of job satisfaction in contracting regimens, similarly to user satisfaction.


Job Satisfaction; National Health Programs; Portugal; Primary Health Care.

Full Text:

PDF (Português)


  • There are currently no refbacks.